HOME > INQUIRER > Article

Text Size

small

medium

large


President’s office paid for plane that took Duterte to The Hague – Remulla

President’s office paid for plane that took Duterte to The Hague – Remulla

Provided by INQUIRER.net.



MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the President (OP) paid for the chartered plane that brought former President Rodrigo Duterte to The Hague in the Netherlands.

Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla confirmed this information on Thursday.

“The plane is chartered by the Office of the President. We brought him straight to the Netherlands,” Remulla said in an interview on ANC’s 'Headstart.'

Then, when asked how much the OP paid for the flight and who the owner of the jet is, Remulla told INQUIRER.net, “All I know is that it’s a leased plane for [the] use of the president. It is based on usable flying hours.”

“The option only came up at 10 a.m. Tuesday. I didn’t ask anymore about other details. At that time, PRRD (President Rodrigo Roa Duterte) had just landed,” he said in a Viber message.



READ: Rodrigo Duterte arrives in The Hague

Duterte was arrested on Tuesday based on an International Criminal Court (ICC) warrant against him for alleged crimes against humanity supposedly committed during his administration’s war on illegal drugs.

He was flown out of Villamor Air Base in Pasay City on Tuesday evening aboard a Gulfstream jet plane with the tail number RP-C5219.

Ownership of the plane had been the subject of speculation online since it was used to transport Duterte to The Hague.

READ: Plane used to transport Duterte to Netherlands not mine – Rep. Co

Ako Bicol Party-list Rep. Elizaldy Co denied suspicions on social media that he owned the Gulfstream jet.

INQUIRER

HEADLINES

POLITICS
Tokyo Urges US to Exempt Japan from Reciprocal Tariffs Announced by Trump Wed.
ECONOMY
Nikkei Average Briefly Loses Over 1,600 Points on Trump's Reciprocal Tariffs
SPORTS
Soccer: Hiroshima Defeats Kashima to Rise to 4th Place in J-League 1st Division
OTHER
Ex-Death Row Inmate Hakamata. 89, to Sue Japan Govt in Aug. for Compensation

AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL


Photos